When inspiration hits, roll with the punch and take it to lunch!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

There Is No Wrong To Write

One of the greatest aspects of writing is the freedom of expression. And to do so without the involvement of vocal interaction (listening, answering questions), makes it all the more liberating. Don’t get me wrong, I love good conversation, but sometimes the best way to let thoughts be known is through the written word. This is especially true when searching for just the right term to convey a message.

Something I’ve become increasingly aware of by practicing the art of composition is how easy it is for people to interpret the same phrase in so many different ways. The definitions we assign to certain words can be as individualized as our personalities, and the reactions we have to them may be varied as well. When I first began writing, I found this overwhelming. How would I ever be assured that what I wrote would be understood by everyone in the manner in which I intended? The good news is, I don’t.

As I’ve come to learn, writing stories is writing for the masses. It’s comparable to giving a speech. Not everyone will agree with it. Not everyone will enjoy it’s content. But the reward is, there will be those who appreciate it as it is whether it’s absorbed as intended or taken with an individualized perspective. As in any artistry, there is no wrong to write!

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I used to assume that everyone was on the same page as me with my writing. But we all walk such different paths and as a result see things differently. That is why we each have our own voice as writers. And its really cool when we find someone who likes our work.

    ReplyDelete